Solving the Content Marketing ROI Mystery [Ebook Review]
As we ease into the latter part of the year, we’ve been talking a lot about content marketing strategy — and budget — for the year to come. And just in case your boss still needs some convincing that you really do need all those funds, you may want to make some notes from Marketo’s ebook Solved Mysteries: Tracking Your Content Marketing ROI.
As my friend Jon Buscall puts it so brilliantly, “Content marketing is a commitment, not a campaign.” (tweet this) We all understand that we’re engaged in a long-term strategy involving a complex web of multiple touchpoints that seem to defy a direct link to the bottom line. At the same time, we need to show something more concrete than “greater exposure” or “increased influence” to justify the time, effort, and yes, money we invest.
It’s a challenge that I’ve struggled with myself, both for Resonance and in our work with clients, and numerous searches for solid answers have come up mostly empty … until now. Which brings me to the Marketo ebook Solved Mysteries: Tracking Your Content Marketing ROI.
First the bad news: Tracking content marketing ROI isn’t easy. It’s not just a matter of whipping up an Excel spreadsheet, forwarding it to your boss, and waiting for the team to carry you away on your shoulders in a hero’s parade. Now the good news: It is doable, even for small teams with less-than-ginormous budgets.
A few key takeaways from Marketo’s guide:
- The two reasons why uncovering content marketing ROI is so hard: (1) we don’t think about measurement during content creation, and (2) we aren’t aligned on the metrics that matter to key stakeholders.
- The four steps for finding content ROI:
- Define your content goals
- Decide how you will measure results
- Align key stakeholders
- Design content programs to be measurable
- An actual case study that shows the four-step process in action
- Six questions to consider as you plan, create, and publish your content
To paraphrase the Most Interesting Man in the World, I don’t often recommend ebooks, but when I do, I prefer one that solves the real problems that content marketers face on a daily basis, and this is one of them.
So before you march into that budget meeting, download your free copy of Solved Mysteries: Tracking Your Content Marketing ROI and get ready to address the boss’ ROI questions with cool confidence.
Remember to snag your copy of The Content Marketing Coach: Everything You Need to Get in the Game … and WIN! — now available on Amazon!
- Find out how to connect and convert with content marketing.
- Learn to cut through the clutter with intelligent content that resonates with your specific target audience.
- Get the secrets for turning followers into customers … and customers into evangelists.
About the Author
A self-described geek who can recite entire episodes of South Park by heart, Rachel Parker has had a passion for content ever since she was old enough to hold a crayon (purple, please).
As Founder and CEO of Resonance, Rachel helps businesses publish content that connects with their audience … and converts those followers into customers. She’s also the host of the Content Marketing Podcast and author of the book The Content Marketing Coach: Everything You Need to Get in the Game … and WIN!
Comments are closed.